Thank you for your interest in Youth Represent. We are currently hiring.
Youth Represent is seeking a staff attorney. We are looking for a bright and energetic individual with an interest in youth and the law to provide legal representation in a dynamic organization whose values evince our commitment to social and racial justice. Youth Represent uses a proven community-lawyering model by which we partner with youth services organizations to provide on-site legal help to youth in neighborhoods across New York City. We have recently expanded this model to Riker's Island, public housing, and NYC schools. Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to legal or public service work and be willing to travel to Riker's, as well as housing developments and schools in all five boroughs. The ideal candidate will be able to start as soon as possible.
- Handle a high volume caseload, including litigation before state courts and administrative agencies throughout New York City
- Liaise with partner organizations--including community-based nonprofit partners, Rikers Island, and NYC Public Schools--to arrange and provide client intake meetings, legal workshops, and legal support
- Work closely with paralegals and support staff to provide criminal record services to youth
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings, and support the strategic development of the organization
- Accompany paralegals to partner sites and lead client intake meetings, facilitate legal workshops, and conduct mock interviews
- Fulfill office administrative requirements, including database entry and case reporting
- Supervise the work of law school interns and clinic students, and other office interns
- Support fundraising efforts for the organization.
- Other duties as needed and determined by Senior Staff
- J.D. Degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in the State of New York or willingness to apply for admission to the New York bar
- 0-2 years experience practicing law (i.e. we are accepting applications from law graduates or candidates leaving fellowships or clerkships)
- Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills
- Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others
- Experience working with justice-involved youth preferred
- Willingness to travel to Rikers Island and housing developments, partner organizations, and high schools across New York City
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to organize and prioritize efficiently
- Strong writing, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Professional presence
HOW TO APPLY: If interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Resumes@YouthRepresent.org with the subject line “Staff Attorney – [your last name]”. Please combine all materials into one document in either Word or PDF format. Applications that do not comport with these instructions will not be considered.
Youth Represent is an equal opportunity employer that considers all applications without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or preference, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The start date for this position is flexible, but the ideal candidate will be able to start as soon as possible.
SALARY & BENEFITS: $52,000 - $60,000 depending on years of relevant experience. Youth Represent offers a generous compensation package, including health and dental coverage, life insurance, 401k plan, and ample vacation time.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: Spanish fluency a plus